Eight Tips for Losing Your Winter Layer
With all the rain in London over the last few months, it’s hard to believe that summer is just around the corner. But thankfully, it is and it’s time to get in shape so you can feel confident when the moment comes to don your swimsuit somewhere other than the darkness and privacy of a dressing room stall. Follow our eight tips for healthy things to do in London and you’ll be feeling this sassy on the beach in no time.
1. Walk. Everywhere. Walking is one of the best forms of exercise. Instead of riding the underground for two stops and taking the bus 10 blocks, walk it. Instead of taking the lift to your office, take the stairs, walk those few blocks further when taking the dog out... anything to boost your activity level. It may take a little more time out of your day, but you will reap the benefits. A great way to know if you need to head 'round the block once more is to wear a pedometer and give yourself a steps-per-day target. (10,000 is typically recommended.) It’ll help burn a few calories and strengthen your muscles especially when combined with other forms of exercise.
2. Take up yoga. Yoga is an all round good work out for your body and mind, improving both your physical and mental health through bends and stretches you never thought possible. You can either sign up for group yoga classes in London or practise on your own from the comfort of your home with the help of an online video. As well as controlling your weight and enhancing flexibility, it’s a great stress reliever.
3. Keep your body on its toes. (Terrible pun not intended.) One of the best ways to get past a plateau when striving for a new fitness goal is to challenge your body in a new way. A great way to try a few new things out is to check out some different classes at the gym. It’ll give you some structure and force you do to a regular activity. Power Plate classes (Check out our class packages for up to half-off!) are an excellent option for those looking to get lean, fit, flexible bodies. (And who isn't, really?) You exercise on vibrating plates that activate muscle contractions by sending rapid waves of energy through your body forcing your muscles to work twice as hard at whatever you’re doing thereby cutting your workout time in half! Unless you just love spending loads of time sweating at the gym... then maybe it's not for you...
4. Join Boot Camp. If you’ve left it to a month before your summer holiday and you need to shed the pounds fast, consider checking out one of London's many fitness boot camps. You’ll be cursing yourself every morning when you have to get up at the crack of dawn and undergo intensive circuit training in the park, but it’ll be worth it while you watch the extra winter-weight melt off. Check out one of our tasters for bootcamp in London - a whole month directly in the city for half-price - savings you can use towards your new swimsuit purchase.
5. Buy a bike. Cycling is great exercise and a quick and environmentally-friendly way of getting from A to B. Consider cycling to work and back every day (just take a change of clothes in your bag). Your legs will soon start to look more shapely, and it's the perfect way to burn some calories without taking up much extra time in your day.
6. Get an exercise buddy. Exercising alone is boring. It’s always more fun and motivating to do it with a friend, whether you’re going for a run, to the gym or trying out a new class. You can encourage one another to achieve your respective goals and treat each other to a healthy smoothie at the end of every session. If there's no one you can convince/bribe to get fit with you - you can always join Fitocracy - a new social site/app where you can log your workouts for points and levels and be part of a whole community of other people working on their fitness.
7. Eat more fruits and vegetables. People are forever telling us to eat more fruit and veg, and for good reason. They are good for your health and for your figure. Check out this article about how adding more produce to your diet helps you cut down on calories consumed during the day.
8. Stock up on superfoods. Superfoods has become a bit of a buzz word in recent years and take note because when combined with exercise, they’ll help you maintain your weight and improve your health. Introduce the following into your diet: blueberries, almonds, walnuts, salmon, bananas and olive oil (and cut down the sugar, chocolate and fizzy drinks). Want a six-pack for the summer? It takes more than exercise. Check out this list of foods to eat for flat abs.
Any more great ideas about healthy, fitness-related things to do in London? Leave it in the comments!